NAF production manager position open
The National Arts Festival in Grahamstown is looking for an AMAZ!NG production manager to join their team.
The National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, South Africa, is Africa’s largest multidiscipline arts event and has developed an international reputation for staging innovative, world-class cutting edge work. It is a platform for established and emerging artists across all disciplines and plays an important role in the development of the arts sector in this country. In 2010 it staged over 2500 performances in about 40 venues.
We are looking for an experienced production manager to take responsible oversight for all the technical logistics and staging elements at the annual festival, and other projects that we may seek to run in the future. We are looking for someone with a passion for the arts and who strives for the same level of excellence that we do.
Reporting to the Festival Director, the incumbent will be required to:
– Work with the Festival Director, Festival Manager, Fringe Manager and the presenting companies to ensure that the technical requirements of all productions to be staged at the Festival are met – Manage and control the overall technical and venue budget
– Liaise with incoming productions regarding technical/logistical requirements – Draw-up venue plans and allocation of technical equipment
– Coordinate change over between productions
– Draw-up a time-line schedule
– Oversee and manage all administration associated with the recruitment and deployment of temporary technical staff required for the Festival – Manage the deployment of staff and resources during the Festival
– Manage storage, inventory, insurance, security for and maintenance of Festival technical equipment.
– Arrange all equipment hiring and purchasing of materials from outside suppliers
– Implement fire, safety and security procedures for venues and staff including emergency evacuation strategies in strict compliance with relevant legislation
– Supervise and assist staff with the efficient setting-up of visual art exhibitions
– Convene a logistics planning committee in Grahamstown, including all local stakeholders from the public and private sector
The incumbent will need to have the following skills, experience and attributes:
– At least eight years’ experience working in a theatre production environment in a senior capacity
– Have a thorough working knowledge of all technical, staging, sound and lighting requirements for a range of productions – including theatre, dance, music and some relevant knowledge pertaining to the mounting of visual art exhibitions. – Be able to work under pressure
– Be prepared to work long and flexible hours
– Have experience managing a large team
– Have proven experience in managing large budgets
– Be computer literate
The package on offer is competitive, and can be negotiated either as full-time employment based in Grahamstown, or on a contractual basis for a fixed period each year.
– In the case of a contract, the incumbent will be required to reside in Grahamstown from the beginning of February until the end of August. The Festival will cover travel and accommodation costs.
– Full-time employment includes pension, medical aid, annual leave and 13th cheque benefits.
Applications need to include a recent curriculum vitae and current, contactable professional references. Please include a covering letter highlighting your relevant work experience and describing what value you would add to the National Arts Festival team. Applications must reach us no later than 5pm on Friday 26 November 2010 and should be submitted by e-mail to email@example.com
If you have not heard from us by 15 December 2010, then please assume that your application has been unsuccessful.
The National Arts Festival runs from 30 June to 10 July 2011.
About the National Arts Festival: The National Arts Festival, now in its 37th year, has proved its sustainability and has grown to be one of the leading arts festivals in southern Africa. Its objectives are to deliver excellence; encourage innovation and development in the arts by providing a platform for both established and emerging South African artists; create opportunities for collaboration with international artists; and build new audiences.
The Famous Idea Trading Co.
021 886 4900
082 820 8584
National Arts Festival